Christmas Tree Memories
I can remember trying to make the decorating of the Christmas Tree as a family event. In the Elm St days, Grandma Taylor gave us her old artificial tree when she bought a new one. I always liked the type of tree. Each branch had to be fit into the pole with each arm (leaf?) fitted to its spot. The branches at the bottom started large and got smaller as it went to the top. It was an eight foot tree.
We used the full tree a few times although it bent the tip on the ceiling so from then on I omitted the last section so that it didn't bend (couldn't put on the star). The problem was in doing this: the topper wouldn't sit straight because it wasn't placed in the right section. To correct this, I'd tie it to the curtain rod (tree was always by a window) with enough tension to make it stand up. It worked!!
Our tree decorations were consisted of a few from my tree when I was little & plastic icicles from dad's growing up. There were some bought from the store or flea markets or festival stands (which were my favorite type). A few times, we made Christmas tree decorations as a family activity. One was painting wooden decorations for the tree, also, we made a popcorn garland (green styrofoam) which lasted about 5 yrs before falling apart. I, also, treasured the ones my kids made from school/church/scouts.
Grandma Nixon always gave us a handful of icicles to put on the tree. I would always place them in evenly in spots on the tree (at least I thought so). So this icicle pattern has always stayed with me; this is how I gave them to you. One time when your dad was home while decorating, he got involved in putting icicles on - he threw them on!!! I was horrified but you kids really liked doing it that way.
Wednesday, December 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You made decorating the tree fun...I still remember making homemade ornaments and popcorn garland! I still enjoy decorating for Christmas today!!
Post a Comment